1. Job Purpose
To comply to Saudi Aramco requirements :
Every vessel shall be supported at all times by an "in Kingdom" and Port Engineer; and may be
assigned for up to eight (8) vessels.
To provide operational assistance to vessels including but not limited to vessel capability, Engines, electronic and
electrical controls, efficiency and conformity on all of the vessel’s working systems to Saudi Aramco standards
2. Principal Accountabilities
The primary responsibility of this position will be :
1. To ensure that the Company QSMS is carried out onboard in accordance to the ISM and ISPS Code.
2. Ensure up to date tracking of vessel Trading Certificates and compliance to Flag State and Port State
3. Provide competency assessment of all Deck Officers as per QSMS procedures.
4. Attend and coordinate with Clients on the daily progress report of vessels in field operation.
5. To provide operational support to Deck Officers and monitor Deck Officers competency in
Navigational requirements and Saudi Aramco marine instructions.
6. Responsible for ensuring that the vessel Time Sheet is accurate and the timely submitting to RSOS for
7. Ensure that every onboard are working in accordance to Company safety procedures and job
8. Coordinate on the timely arrival of all vessels at Tanajib with regards to Cargo and vessel provision and
9. To replace the Master any time when required.
10. Follow up on Crew personnel in cooperation with the Crew Department so as to ensure that they are
meeting with the Safety and Environmental Standards required by any specific party (MLC, Flag State,
Class Society, Owners, Clients, OIM, etc.
11. To provide technical solutions to present engineering challenges on the vessels assigned to him,
keeping in mind on its conformity
12. Onshore monitoring and tracking of Rawabi vessels in ship survey status, compliance to Flag State and
Port State Control.
13. Work in collaboration with Port Engineer, Port Safety Officer and Shore Based Technical Manager
maintain sufficient and up to date critical spares (including LSA / FFA) stock at Warehouse in relation to
the logistical lead time for procurement and delivery.
14. Work in collaboration with Liaise with Port Engineer and Onshore Technical Manager to ensure the
timely delivery of critical spares so as not to impede on vessel performance.
15. When required, to provide accurate capability assessment report and conduct sea trial at Shipyards
for new builds in a foreign country.
16. For AHTS Vessels, Dynamic Positioning Vessels, Commissary / Training Vessels and Self Propelled Jackups,
the Port Captain shall at all times hold a U.S., U.K. or other European license equal to or better
than a British Department of Transport, Class 1 Certificate of Competency (ocean going /
17. For other categories of Vessels the Port Captain shall at all times hold a license in accordance with the
qualification chart under Section 20 of Aramco MIM.
18. The license for the Port Captain and Port Engineer shall be one category above what is required for
Master of the vessel they are assigned to.
19. The Port Captain shall be fluent in both spoken and written English.
20. The Port Captain shall have at least four (4) years experience as Master on the type of vessel they are
21. The Port Captain shall at all times be able to take over as temporary Master on their assigned vessels.
22. Able to act as relief for key vessel personnel.
23. Thorough frequent inspections of their assigned vessel, ensure that any deficiencies that arise be
immediately rectified and reported to Clients.
24. Responsible for all vessel certificates to be current and up dated as necessary. Vessel certificate files
25. Ensure that all operational information is forward to the vessel and adhered to. This includes, but not
limited to, chart corrections, changes in Aramco operational and emergency instructions and
27. Monitor and enforce Aramco Marine Safety & Loss Prevention Program and carry out periodic audits
and report findings to Aramco.
29. Instruct and ensure all Officers and Crews comply with Aramco Instrruction Manual (O.I.M.) 1.519,
Marine Instruction Manual (MIM) and Marine Vessel Specifications and Requirements.
30. Notify Aramco of prospective personnel changes and of forthcoming required evaluations.
32. Ensure that all crew members have the qualification and experience to perform their work in
33. Shall train unfamiliar Master and Chief Mates in Aramco operational areas and requirements prior to
their undergoing a practical and theoretical competency check Aramco.
34. Ensure all senior officers comply with Aramco Marine Department dress code and ensure appearance
35. Report to Aramco Marine Department everything which may be of interest with regards to the
36. Participate in and issue written reports / statements of inspections, investigation and similar activities
when required by Aramco.
37. Perform all other necessary activities to enhance efficient and safe operation of the vessel.
3. Communications and Working Relationships
Approved Aramco Port Captain
4. Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Nautical Certificate of Competency for Deck Officers
The license for the Port Captain shall be one category above what is required for the vessel he is
COC First Class Certificate of Competency (Foreign going unlimited) with minimum four years with
Aramco Contract experience on AHTSS.
Full STCW Certification including ISM & ISPS as SSO
Physical Requirements of the Job - If Applicable
The job will require travel locally and International.